Conditions

Friday, May 21, 2021

New toy! RigExpert 230 stick, Antenna fun, more furniture for the shack

Hello again! Just bought myself a new toy. Always wanted an antenna analyzer and I saw Randy's (K7AGE) review of this little beauty and knew I had to have it.

I want to compare my OCF 80-10M antenna with a Short Pro Line DX 160-10M

Link to RegExpert Stick 230



Below is the plot of my 80-6m OCF dipole. Though it is hard to see, the SWR for 160M is over 10:1. The plot was done with the AntScope2 program available from the website here AntScope2 Download
This is freeware software, so it does have some ruff edges.

It is hard to see, but the SWR for 160M is higher the 10:1. Obviously it won't work on 160M.


Shack Furniture
A couple of pieces of new furniture for the shack. Two bookcases, which were about 50 bucks each and a four foot wooden table for about 130 bucks. The table I needed for my keys. The table I had before was a little rickety and shook when I tried to use my bug. The bookcases fit nicely under my windows. Really spruced the place up!




Antenna Fun

Got one antenna project done. I was able to get my 2M/70CM Slim Jim mounted to the back of the garage. I had it temporally attached to my deck. It worked OK there but, with summer time coming and leaves out now, I was not getting into some repeaters. Plus I don't think my wife liked looking at it.

One little side note: My wife won't let me climb a ladder anymore so I asked the guy that does my lawn to hang it up for me. COVID has hit him pretty hard financially this last year, so he was glad to get the extra work. And I was glad to help him.

Temporary position


permanent position.


My other antenna project was to replace my 80-6M OCF Windom dipole with a short 160-6M OCF Windom dipole.

This project had some issues. First I wanted to add two extra ropes to each end. The first would be a backup/safety rope in case the primary rope broke. The second rope was in case the antenna broke at the end, I would have a way to pull the rope that was attached to the end of the antenna back down. 

Well when I tried to pull the two ropes up over the tree using the existing rope, the existing rope broke. So I lost my original rope. So now I had to try and get a new rope over the tree.

So I got out the old JARC antenna launcher pumped it up to 45 lbs. and shot a line over the tree. Well, I think 45 lbs. was a little too much. The damn thing went so far I couldn't find the projectile anywhere and ended up losing it.

Since I only had one projectile left, I had to pick a safer target. I stood in the woods, picked a reasonably clear spot. I pumped up to 35 lbs. this time. It turns out even 35 lbs. is a lot, I almost hit the house. Next time I think I will try less, maybe even 25 lbs.

Well anyways, I got a line up and raised to antenna. Not as high as I would like, but will have to do for now. I am so sore from all the back and forth and up and down the stairs. I am not use to it anymore.

Well long story short, I got the antenna up and it tunes up on all bands. Next step to gradually increase my power and hope my smoke detectors won't go off.

Next step will be to try and get the end higher. I need to make myself a few more projectiles though be fore I try that.

Center point. Maybe 35 feet high

chock at the end of the vertical radiator. Maybe 10 feet up

The in line inductor. The little blob next to the leaves.

closer view of inductor

This end is up about 40 feet.

The other end in a tree about 30-35 feet maybe.

Another view of the center

The inductor is about 10-15 from end on antenna.

Well, that is all for now. As soon as I make up some projectiles I will try and shot a new line.


73
Dave KB1WOD


5 comments:

  1. By the way, I picked up an old MFJ Analyzer myself at a hamfest for $65 several years ago. Didn't want to, but it was a spur of the moment, thinking I would probably never use it. But I found it to be a very valuable tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Curt, Yes one of those must have things. I am sure I will use it a lot.

      Delete