Conditions

Sunday, May 30, 2021

More antenna fun, Field Day coming up!

 Repair of Antennas

I had two antennas that need some repair work done on them. My 80-10M EFHW had two breaks in the wire. My 160M sloper had a damaged end cap that needed to be replaced. Repairs have been make without too much difficulty.

Spliced wire in two placed and then heat shrink over the splices.


New end cap(white) on 160M sloper.


As you might remember, I only had one projectile left for my antenna launcher. Well, I ended up with none. I tried to shot another line higher up from the woods and got my last projectile stuck in a tree. So none left.

So I had to make up some more. That wasn't so difficult to do, except just finding the parts to do it was a little bit of a problem. It turns out 3/4" PVC pipe and end caps are popular for lawn irrigation system. Well this time of year a lot of places are sold out of end caps. It took me awhile to find some, but I did, and I made up 4 new projectiles. You can buy the 3/4" PVC in 2' sections which allows you to have four 6" sections. Just the right size.

Four new projectiles.




BTW, my antenna is not doing so good mechanically. With the rain and winds we've been getting lately, it keeps drooping more and more and I keep having to to raise it up a little. I have got to get a line over the trees up higher.


I ended up taking down my 160-10M OCF. It was just not up correctly. It has been raining the last couple of days here, so putting it back up will have to wait awhile.
 
Test of 160-6M OCF dipole
I did a SWR plot of my 160-6M OCF dipole. I am a little disappointed in the 160M band. I was hoping it would be better then what is shows. I am hoping that raising it up higher might help. We will see. 

SWR plot of short 160-6M OCF dipole

SWR plot for 80-6M OCF dipole

SWR for 160M (160-6M OCF)


Field Day
Some of the members of the local club, CAARA, are trying to setup a Field Day site. Field Day this year is June 26-27.  I don't usually do Field Day, but this year I think I will go so I can meet some of the local guys. Also I have quite a bit of spare antenna stuff that I can lend to the effort. Here is a list of of things I have available:

  1. 40-20-10M Fan dipole
  2. 80-6M OCF dipole
  3. 15M dipole
  4. 80-6M EFHW
  5. 100' Coax cable
  6. 80M sloper
  7. 160M sloper
  8. ~400' of rope
  9.  25' Coax cable
All for now. I will post again when I get my antenna back up.

73

P.S. this page had issues had to redo it a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment