Conditions

Thursday, June 10, 2021

20 Meter RFI problem solved, 160-6M antenna failure.

 20 Meter RFI problem solved

Since I moved into my shack above the garage, I have had RFI issues with my hard wired smoke detectors on 20 meters.

 Well, recently I put up a new OCF dipole antenna that was suppose to give me 160-6 meters. While I was checking it out, I gradually increased the power on all bands checking for bad things. When I got to 20 meters, I was able to increase the power to 100% (70 Watts) without the smoke detectors going off. My first thought was that the new antenna did a better job of containing the RFI issue. I don't think this is correct.

Unfortunately, or serendipitously, the 160-6 meter antenna broke (see below) and I put my old 80-6 meter OCF back up. I again slowly increased power on 20 meters waiting for the smoke detectors to go off, but again, they didn't.

What had changed? Then I realized that since my initial setup back in Oct of 2019, I had purchased three metal shelves and set them up against one of the walls in the storage area. The antenna coax is behind the shelves. I believe the shelves are shielding the smoke detector from my antenna wire. Hey, that's my story and I am sticking to it hi hi. Bottom line, I haven't had any problems since.


You can see my antenna coax on the floor behind the shelves. 

Antenna Failure
Well my 160-6M OCF did not hold up to the winds I get here. It broke where I thought it would, at the inductor. The wires are soldered into the terminal lugs, not crimped, and there is no strain relief on the terminals. Depending on a soldered joint for mechanical connection is not a good idea. For one thing, solder will deteriorate when exposed to the weather and for another, a cold solder joint could also compromise the connection.

Well it looks like I have another antenna repair project to look forward to, oh joy!

I am going to try and add some strain relief to these connections.


Terminal connection to inductor


Failed connection on inductor.

Poor solder connection on the antenna wire end that was soldered to the terminal lug.

Well, enough for now.
73!!



No comments:

Post a Comment